Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The Double Standard

I've heard it all my life - "No white before Memorial Day or after Labor Day."  After doing a little research, I ran across this explanation for the oft-repeated fashion rule from the blog Stylitics.com:
"[The rule] comes from a time when “summer” was still a verb and the elite class would leave the city at the start of the season, vacation wardrobe in tow, and return only post-Labor day to the drab suits of the urban working class.  By the mid-20th century, the “no white after Labor Day” rule had become a hard and fast way to draw class lines and educate the “nouveau riche” on the prevailing etiquette of the time."
I'll confess - I have a double standard when it comes to the "wearing white" rule!  You can find me wearing it as early as possible in the Springtime (I may have even been known to wear it in early April!)  Yet these last few weeks of August have found me squeezing in every opportunity to wear white slacks and white jeans.  It is as if I'm preparing to say good-bye to a dear friend!  
I'm apparently not alone.  The blog goes on to show a graphic (from Style.com) that indicates the "wearing white" habits of their fashionable readers.  The results may surprise you.
How do you approach wearing white?  A rule follower?  Or a rule breaker?  (or like me, a rule "bender"?)



No comments:

Post a Comment