Wednesday, September 25, 2013

District Sample Sale - The Recap

On Monday, I posted about Zoe's invitation to the District Sample Sale.  Today I give you a recap of the event!

If you remember my planning for the Old Town Alexandria Warehouse Sale, you know that I always have a checklist.  This event was no different.  And it was slightly more challenging because I was unfamiliar with the event, the venue, and the logistics.  So the checklist was a must!!

When Tara arrived at Zoe yesterday, items were already being staged next to the front door.  And although I've been grumpy about the designation of several parking spaces in front of Zoe as "Loading Zoe" from 6 am - 11 am, I took full advantage of the Loading Zone yesterday morning to get our Honda Pilot fully packed up with clothing, racks, and other support items!

Janice arrived at 12:30 to take care of Zoe in our absence and Tara and I set out for DC at around 1:20 pm.  The email that we had received over the weekend indicated that we were to unload at the service entrance at 2 pm and we did not want to be late.  As we approached the venue, Tara said "What if you have to keep driving around and we just unload incrementally?"  I laughed and said "I don't want to explain that usage of gasoline to Jim!"  Oh, how little did we know how accurate her words were!

(Note - Jim has often said things similar to what Tara said and then they end up coming true.  Ask him sometime about what he said one night when we arrived in Atlanta en route from New Orleans to Alexandria) and he commented on the fact he had never stayed in the Westin next to the runway.  Guess where we ended up staying that night because our connecting flight had already departed?  Yes.  Nothing else need be said).

So, as you can imagine, there was no parking in the service area in the alley behind the venue.  And the police and others were just waiting to tow and ticket vehicles.  So what did we do?  Tara got out and found our space and then each time I circled the block, pulled more out of the Pilot.  I think I circled that block about 15 times as she ran up and down two flights of stairs (the service elevator was slow and crowded).  Finally, when there was very little left, I parked in the 24 hour parking garage close by and carried my card table down K Street.  (We've already established in this blog that I really have no shame).

(Second Note:  Jim called this a "learning experience".  I called it a "cluster".  He was just glad he wasn't there.)

Tara already had our rack set up when I reached our space (in the Sphinx Club in DC).  We then determined the ideal configuration for the space and went to work.  We finished in plenty of time and took a few deep breaths before I went to the ladies room to change into my "uniform" for the night (ankle boots, black tights, Rebecca Taylor leather skirt, black turtleneck, and Chan Luu scarf).

We were happy to see and visit with fellow Old Town Alexandrians Periwinkle, Bishop Boutique and Hysteria.  And then the madness began - the VIPs began entering the event at 5:30!


One of the best things about the event?  The opportunity to meet a friend from Twitter/Instagram (you may know her as @DCCeline) as well as her friends (shout out to @kcesledd) and the winner of her VIP giveaway (@EmilyKateDC).

In addition to Tara, former Zoe employee Julie joined us to help at the event.  I could not have been successful without the two of them managing our "dressing room", keeping our racks from complete chaos and calling our purchases so I could ring them up. Not to mention their role in the tear-down process!  They are the BEST!


Check out our dressing room behind us - we set up the Chinese Screen when the organizers moved the Step and Repeat Wall from this space!

It was a great opportunity to introduce Zoe to new customers - so many people asked "Where is your store?"  We hope that many of them will venture out to Old Town Alexandria soon!

When the event ended at 9 pm, I started to bring the Pilot back up to the loading area (hoping that I wouldn't have to repeat the multiple drive around the blog scenario again)!  I had parked on P4 of the parking building and I suddenly discovered as I was driving out that there was a direct entrance to the venue on P2.  Guess who parked and ran inside to share the news!!  This made the loading of the Pilot much easier!  Tara and I had already decided we would not unload on Tuesday night - we saved that fun for this morning.  At least we had less to unload that we had taken with us!

We enjoyed the opportunity to be involved in the 2013 District Sample Sale!  If you shopped it, what did you buy? And what was your favorite part?

1 comment:

  1. This post cracked me up! Boy, Tara really got her exercise with those stairs.

    ReplyDelete