Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Boutiques Give Back - The Event

Saturday morning was bright and sunny - a beautiful start to Boutiques Give Back!  With the nice weather, I knew there would be a lot of people walking, dining, and shopping in Old Town!

On Thursday afternoon, the Animal Welfare League had delivered a large A-frame sign for me to display during the event.  While the rep was here, he also gave me some handouts about a program they are running called "Wild Flower Pets".  With the new puppy and kitten season upon us, there are some older animals at the shelter who haven't been adopted yet.  AWLA has placed a flower on the older pet's pictures on their website and they will waive 1/2 of the adoption fee for anyone selecting these pets!  While he was explaining the program to me, a customer in the store told us that she was trying to help her niece adopt a dog and this sounded like just what they needed!  So we got to hand out a flyer right then!


The combination of the two signs together was a great draw!

AWLA was a fantastic partner - using all forms of social media to alert people of the event.  While I've never been a huge fan of Twitter, I became a believer on Saturday.  A customer came in the store immediately after seeing a tweet about the event (and brought this gorgeous fellow below).


He even went "off leash" and accompanied his owner to the dressing room!

I didn't get to take pictures of all of our visitors but I also loved this adorable miniature Collie (Daisy).


I am so appreciative of PetSage for providing us with the cat and dog treats to hand out to everyone.  I even got to hand out some catnip to Mailman Dave (and found out he and his wife have 3 cats at home)!  He reported to me today that two of his three loved it!  

AWLA had told me that they would bring an adoptable dog to the store for a couple hours when I'm normally busiest.  I asked them to come between 12:30 - 2:30.  My heart completely melted when I saw Sally (a beagle mix).


She was SO sweet and enthusiastic and was really well-behaved.  And quite the charmer - one lady gave a donation to the AWLA volunteer after meeting Sally!  Of course, I had to have my picture taken with her and give her a little love and attention.


I will confess I would have loved to have brought Sally home.  It is a good thing that my husband is always the "voice of reason" with regard to things like this.  I could hear his voice in the back of my head, reminding me that she would need to be walked in the rain and snow!

I was pleased with the event and did much better with sales than I had done "on my own" the previous year (more for AWLA- yay!)  In my on-going quest to always figure out what I could have done better, I would have had a way for people to give direct donations to AWLA if they didn't want to buy something.  

No comments:

Post a Comment