Thursday, June 5, 2014

Saying Goodbye: Q&A with Tara

Zoe's manager, Tara, dishes on her time at Zoe in today's Q&A!  She and Camille are both doing well and are scheduled to come home from the hospital today!


Q. Why did you want to come to work at Zoe?
Prior to working at Zoe, I worked in retail for 13 years. I always worked in a chain store, which gave me no insight as to how a retail store really worked.  I moved to Alexandria to get my Bachelor's Degree in Fashion and Retail Merchandising, hoping that would give me the answers I was looking for. After moving here, I fell in love with Old Town and all it had to offer. I thought the best way to find out how a retail store really ran was to work for a boutique where they did everything. 

I remember calling Zoe to see if there were any openings available. Susan and I had a pretty long courtship, as she was preparing for a change. I remember wanting to work at Zoe so badly, I even volunteered my time to work for her at Fashion's Night Out. We had so much fun that evening and I was offered the job that day!

Q. Favorite piece that you’ve ever seen in the store (and why)
That's kind of hard. I have had so many favorite pieces at Zoe. Susan truly has a good eye for fashion.  Can I say every single thing from Velvet?  I guess it would be a vest that we received from Waverly Gray in the fall of 2013.  I saw the vest at the showroom, fell in love immediately, and told Susan I would have to have it when it came in.  Well, it came in and I sold every single vest. I never did actually get to have it. I loved it so much I showed it to everyone who walked in the door and it didn't take long for everyone else to love it too.  I even remember doing a photo shoot with it the day we received it in.  It was sold before it came back to the store that night.

Q. Favorite Zoe piece in your closet (and why)
I would have to say every Zoe piece I have in my closet is my favorite.  If I had to choose, it would be a tie between my Velvet Long Sleeve Becky Sweater (which I would live in every day if the weather permitted) and my Chan Luu pink and purple mixed 5 wrap bracelet.  Velvet is my favorite line, so if it were possible to only have Velvet items in my closet I would.

Q. Craziest thing you ever had happen to you in the store.
There was NEVER a dull day at Zoe.  I had my regular visiting customers, some very eccentric customers, and just some crazy things happen. I have had birds fly in the store on two occasions, witnessed many people try to drive up a one way street right outside the store, bikers get yelled at on the street for not obeying the traffic laws, and much more. I have endured a small waterfall coming from the ceiling in the fitting rooms and it becoming icy cold when the AC unit went of the fritz.

One day last spring I became a jack of all trades. A customer had recently purchased bras online for the first time in a while and was unsure of the fit. Although I have worked retail for a long time, I have never worked in intimates, and to be honest I wouldn't know the first thing about bra fitting (I would have left it up to the Victoria Secret employees).  he asked if I would be able to tell her if they fit properly and since I really have no idea, I referred her to Bloomers here in Old Town, who I know would give her the best service. Well, that didn't stop her. The next time she was in she tried something on, and decided today was the day I became qualified to fit a woman for bras!  She came out with her new bras on and asked what I thought (and there were several bras).  I will be adding bra fitter to my resume.

Q. Favorite store event
I think for as long as I worked at Zoe I was at the store for every event we had. Believe it or not I do love working Black Friday. I don't love the getting up crazy early part.  But I love seeing all the customers in the store having a good time trying things on and telling each other what they think of an outfit or piece.  It seems to be the kick off of the holiday season to me and it just gets me in the mood for the holiday.

I also have to say I had a great time when Katie Bartels came down from NYC for her trunk show this past December.  I love her jewelry and all the bright colors.  We had such a good time chatting, trying things on with customers, and of course taking photos.  Her mother was down with her as well and is such a wonder woman.

The District Sample Sale would have to be an event that wasn't necessarily my favorite, but it was an event.  It was in September, right in the heart of DC.  As organized as we always try to be (Susan is a list maker and we are always on time if not early) when we got there to set up it seemed to be a mad house.  Everyone was trying to use the same loading area in a back alley with one elevator.  Not to mention that some stores didn't pay attention to when they were to set up, so when they came late it made it even worse. There was no place to park without getting a ticket or towed, so Susan drove Jim's Honda Pilot around the block and would stop when she saw me standing outside.  I would open the back, grab as much as I could carry and run back into the building to drop it in our spot.  Since the elevator was tied up, I took the steps (and there were at least 3 flights to go up and down).  Finally we got everything in and Susan could go park, but by that time I had run up and down the steps about 50 thousand times and Susan drove around the block just about the same.  At the time we didn't know it, but I was also pregnant.  I guess baby and I got a good workout that day.  I'm so glad Jim wasn't there for that, although I think it may have been a little funny :)

Although it is not a store event, my favorite event with Susan was going on the buying trips to NYC.  We went to showrooms, met the reps, and decided on what would be coming to the store the following season.  This was an opportunity of a lifetime.  My first day on the job was a buying trip. I have to say without a doubt, that was the BEST first day of working a new job I have ever had in my entire life!  Although I was like a kid in a candy store, Susan kept me under control. We left early on the Amtrak, got to NYC and were able to walk to all of our appointments since they were all located just blocks from each other. I remember going to the showroom that houses the Velvet line and falling in love immediately. And one of the most exciting showrooms was Chan Luu.  First of all, it's the penthouse floor of a very tall building. When the elevator doors opened it was a sea of wrap bracelets just waiting for me to want them all. You would have thought I was Susan's child, as I was saying "Susan can we get this, Susan can we get this?"  I had to tell Susan never to send me to NYC alone to purchase for the store because I would only come back with Velvet and Chan Luu.  Oh, and I loved eating at this great little Italian place in Hell's Kitchen.  It was the best pasta I have ever eaten.

Q. What I love about Jim.
Seriously, what is not to love about Jim!  I absolutely love how Jim can crack me up without even trying to be funny.  I love the comments he leaves on Instagram and his ability to pick out anything car related in the photos.  One day Zoe had a little bit of a disaster.  A water line that was connected to the HVAC unit of the burst and water started pouring from the ceiling tiles in the fitting rooms.  I started getting the mess cleaned up, called Susan and asked for Jim's help if he was available.  Needless to say he came to my rescue and was not a happy camper.  We had a good time cleaning up the mess and poking fun at the way it was handled by all parties involved.

Q. Favorite Susan quote.
Susan is so articulate that I am not sure that she has a quote that she uses all the time.  When she says "remind me to tell you...", you know there is a great story coming!

Q. When I see Zoe pink, I think...
Immediately I think of Susan and Zoe.  Purple is my favorite color, but Zoe pink will be unforgettable.  No matter where I am, who I am with, or what it is, I will always think of Susan and Zoe. 

Q. What you’ll miss most about the store.

I cry as I answer this, not just because I am overly emotional, hormonal, and just gave birth, but because I will truly miss everything.  Every morning when I come into the store, there is an email waiting from Susan.  And if there isn't I get worried and email her in a panic to make sure she is ok.  Almost every day I get to see Buckley and Thatcher - two of my regular doggie customers who made it just a little bit easier to deal with the passing of my dog and best friend Blitz.  I will miss getting to relive high school all over again with Alexandra.  The stories that were told, and the helpful big sister advice that I could give.  I'll miss all the customers, who made me laugh, smile, and even a little angry (although I never showed it).  I will miss the VIP valet parking I received in the parking garage.  At some point I never had to park my car because Jared and the guys always did it for me (although it was to their benefit too, they could move me around all day and get more cars in).  I will most certainly miss all the shipments of new product coming into the store.  It's like Christmas when you open those boxes, wondering what's going to be inside!  I even nicknamed our UPS man Freddie Claus, since he's like Santa bringing me gifts all the time.  I will miss the smiling faces of both Freddie the UPS man and Dave the postman. I will definitely miss the friendships I've made with customers.  I must say, Zoe did have some of the best customers in the world.  They are always so thoughtful and genuine.  They have followed me through the last of my schooling and my pregnancy and had great advice to offer along the way.  It was never a dull day at Zoe, and I truly had some of the best experiences of my career with Susan.  She has taught me things I would have never learned at a chain store or even in class.  At Zoe you are family, and I will always love my Zoe Family.

No comments:

Post a Comment