Friday, October 7, 2011

The Dilemma

As many details as you try to cover when thinking about opening a business, there are always so many little things that you just don't think of in the process.  One that has challenged me since I opened is what to do when I have one left of an item.

Now, I'm not complaining.  If Zoe has one left of an item at full price, it means that item has done well!  It is always exciting when you've selected something in the right colors/style/sizes for your customer population.  But then there is that one item, hanging there all alone, wanting a home.

I try to think about the best way to merchandise the single items.  Do I hang them all together?  Do I hang them with similarly styled/colored sister items?  They just always seem to stick out like a sore thumb to me!

One thing I've tried on and off since opening is offering a discount on the full-priced single items on Wednesdays.  As I've tracked sales and traffic over the last six months, I've found that Wednesdays are typically my quietest day.  I've shown the items on my Facebook page (and posted to Twitter as well) but I've never had anyone take advantage of the sale (or even anyone buy the item in the store that day without knowing about the sale!)  I've honestly been reluctant to blast my email list with the weekly deals although that is a possibility also.  Most people like a deal but they also don't want to wade through tons of email from businesses every day.  (And I've had returning customers thank me for not emailing them constantly, which is feedback I truly take to heart).

I'm open to suggestions as to what to do with the lovely but lonely single items!  Here is one of them (a Rebecca Taylor Perfect Shift Dress in a Size 6).


No comments:

Post a Comment