Sunday, October 9, 2011

For Dad

You probably remember my postings on involving Zoe in charitable giving.  Each month, I've continued to try to find ways to involve the store with local charities that are close to my heart.

Those who have known me for a while know that finding ways to identify cancer early, treat it, and ultimately prevent it is a goal for me.  Six years ago today, I lost my father to a rare form of cancer.  I miss him every single day but have felt it profoundly today.  My mother and brother have assured me that he would be delighted that I had launched Zoe.  It sometimes seems unfair that he didn't get to see me act on this dream.

I was feeling down this afternoon when two women from Baltimore came into the store, drawn in partially by the ad that I have in my window for Chan Luu Breast Cancer bracelets.  They were so much fun to shop with and, as we were talking, I found that one of the woman had recently (within the last three months) lost her mother to cancer and the other had just found out that her mother had breast cancer.  We all agreed that the word "Cancer" is the most terrible word you can hear.  They definitely were angels sent to lift my down spirits today.  It is so odd how close you can feel to others who have experienced the same things.

I've recently focused Zoe's philanthropic efforts on different types of cancer.  We were a Crew level sponsor for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Regatta held in Alexandria in September.  We participated in a Silent Auction for the Women Mean Business of Alexandria's benefit for The Walk to Fight Breast Cancer.  We are a sponsor for the Super Survivors Contest for the National Race to End Women's Cancer in November.  And we are selling the Chan Luu Breast Cancer bracelets (Chan is donating 50% of the proceeds to BreastCancer.org, Zoe is donating 10% of all Chan Luu Wrap Bracelet sales through year end to the same organization).

I hope to always live a life as the legacy that my father told me that I was for him.  Thanks to all of you who surrounded me with your love as I mourned his illness and loss and continue to encourage me today.

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet post. I'm sure your Dad is very proud of what you have accomplished.

    ReplyDelete