Monday, May 24, 2010

Reference Guides

Today I had several doctor's appointments so I knew that it would not be a particularly productive day. Since the appointments require a lot of waiting, I took one of my reference guides for starting one's own business with me so that I could continue to plan next steps.

Of the books I've read, one of my favorites is "The Girl's Guide to Starting Your Own Business" by Caitlin Friedman and Kimberly Yorio. This book was recommended to me by Greer at Duo during my evaluation phase. It definitely has not disappointed.

The book starts out by asking a number of detailed (and pointed) questions about whether or not you are really up for running the show. It then moves on to helping you identify the types of businesses that might be a good fit for you and then discusses the details around legalities, licenses, permits, financials and funding. It also talks about business plan writing and being the boss. In addition to all of this, it intertwines real life stores of start up businesses in a number of different disciplines so that you can learn from their positive (and negative) experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment