Thursday, September 15, 2011

Spring 2012 Fashion Shows

It is mind-boggling to think that, with our DC area weather just turning cool today in preparation for the Fall season, the Spring 2012 Fashion Shows have been taking place in New York over the past week (called Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week).  And that I'll be going to NY on Monday to select the spring items for Zoe.

Two of the lines sold at Zoe conducted runway shows during Fashion Week.  Thanks to the wonders of modern technology, I was able to see recorded versions of both shows.  Some day I hope to actually attend one in person (but I don't think I'll ever be famous enough or important enough to sit on the front row and be snapped by the paparazzi!)

The real point of a runway model is to "display" the clothing in such a way that you are fascinated by the garment.  The model is not supposed to stand out in any way.  I have to say that I was so distracted by the distressing thinness of the models at one of the shows that it negatively affected my viewpoint of the designer and the garments.  While I've recently been given some grief about my weight (and lack thereof), these women truly were too thin.  And some of them had skinned knees and odd sunburn/tan lines that added to the distraction.  Thinking it might be just me, I asked Jim to look at one of the shows.  He had me stop about halfway through because he was so disturbed by the look of the models.

In 2006, the regional government in Madrid, Spain instituted a ban on overly thin models during their Fashion Week.  They based their criteria on the BMI measurement (which has certainly had its share of controversy as well).  But it sounds like a step in the right direction.  A model doesn't need to look like a skeleton in order for us to appreciate the design she is wearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment