Thursday, July 4, 2013

Fly Away

A friend's recent travels as well as my own last month were a stark reminder of just how horribly some people dress when they go to the airport!  Sometimes, it is so bad, you just want to shield your eyes.

My parents were of the generation that dressed up to fly.  My first flight (to Cincinnati at the age of 6), I was outfitted in my Sunday best.  There is even a home movie of us boarding the plane and then disembarking (things were a LOT different then.)  My Dad was really a personal YouTube.

Even as fashion norms have changed over the years, I've always tried to mix comfortable with professional.  It really is possible to look nice AND feel good at the same time (without resorting to wearing your pajamas and UGGs).

Some of my favorites:

An easy, draped cardigan.  (Yes, my summer sweater obsession continued).  This is the perfect layering piece.  Put it on when the plane or airport is over air conditioned.  Take it off when you reach your warm, sunny destination!


A flattering top can be paired with shorts, a skirt, jeans, or slacks.  The fit is structured but loose - you can look nice while still hoisting your carry-on bag up into the overhead bins!


I'm always a big fan of nice clothing that doesn't wrinkle.  And it can be hard to find!  But throw this Tencel jacket on over your favorite comfy tee or cami and you've got the best of all worlds.


A maxi dress can be a great travel staple.  Allows for easy movement (as you just might find yourself running through the airport to catch that connecting flight) as well as can be worn again out to dinner or to that evening beach cocktail soiree.  And such easy packing - they don't take up much room in your suitcase on the way back!

So don't be "that girl" that everyone is talking about in the airport (for all the wrong reasons)!

No comments:

Post a Comment