Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Take Me Out To The Ballgame

Whenever I do something new (or something I haven't done in a long time), one of the first things I think about is "What should I wear?"  On Sunday, I was preparing to go to my first Nationals game since baseball returned to Washington.  (I know, shameful that it has taken me this long to go.  I've been kind of busy.)  I most recently went to a baseball game (Mariners) in 2005 in Seattle when I worked there.  So it has been a while.

I used to worry solely about the fashion aspect whenever I went anywhere.  Sporting events included.  My thinking got changed slightly when I was angsting about what to wear to a college football game in the late 90s.  One of my male family members (who shall remain nameless) said "Sue, It's a football game, not a fashion show."  Ouch.

But it did make me think....I can look nice but should make sure I'm comfortable.  And dressed appropriately for the weather.  So back to the Nationals.

1) I knew it was going to be hot (1:35 pm start).
2) I wasn't 100% sure of our seating arrangements - would we be in the sun?
3) I didn't already own any Nationals garb and wasn't going to spend money on any beforehand
4) I should at least attempt to dress in a color appropriate scheme (red or blue or white)

I started with the easy part - bottoms first.  I originally thought about wearing my white Red Engine Jeans but had to nix the idea of long pants in the heat.  My second choice was a pair of tan khaki Bermuda shorts.  That dilemma was solved.

But what to wear on top? I have a lot of Red, but much of it is either long sleeved (for UGA football games, naturally) or branded with a different Washington sports team (I have some Caps tops).  None of it seemed quite right.  So I went to one of my favorites - a lightweight, cotton Rebecca Taylor Top from last summer.  Layered over a thin Chan Luu cami, and I had the basics taken care of.  Pair it with Michael Kors Red flats from The Shoe Hive and a UGA Baseball cap, I was good to go.

The day was hot and the game was long but exciting!  It felt so good to be back at a baseball game again!  And I felt appropriately dressed!  My one regret?  Not having a Cincinnati Reds cap on when I met one of my childhood sports idols George Foster!




No comments:

Post a Comment