Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Learning about ADA

On Saturday morning, Jim and I took a quick trip to Zoe's home to take some more measurements needed for the signage company.  We went early because we knew that the Scottish Christmas Walk was scheduled to start that morning in Alexandria.  Traffic gets crazy because the streets are blocked off and thousands of people come out to see the parade.  Even as early as we went, we saw several men in their kilts walking to the parade start location.  I'm so excited that I will be down there next year for the event!

This morning, I was back at City Hall to discuss ADA regulations for my space.  Although this is an area (for the most part) of responsibility for the landlord, I also have some things that I need to do to make sure I comply.  Building Plans Examiner Ken sat down with me and walked me through the ANSI (American National Standards Institute) document on Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities.  I learned all about the requirements for restrooms, drinking fountains, sales/service counters, dressing rooms, and general space access.  Zoe's home falls under a category called Mercantile.  He was also kind enough to make me copies of the relevant passages so that I could refer to them easily when making decisions on my cash wrap area and dressing rooms.  Once again, a HUGE thumbs up to the City of Alexandria and their employees.  Every person I have dealt with has been kind, professional, and accommodating.

After I finished up at City Hall, I went to the Apple Store to purchase the iMac that I need for my Point of Sale software.  As a business owner, they have me work with Apple's Business Team to make my purchases and ensure that I have everything I need to be successful.  The store (nor the mall - Fashion Centre at Pentagon City) was not as busy as I thought it would be at 11 am.

2 comments:

  1. I was in Alexandria unexpectedly one year and saw that walk. It's quite a sight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is, Juice! Did you see that they now have to wear "something" underneath their kilts? There is a lot of grumbling about this. I'm not sure who or how they would enforce it! :)

    ReplyDelete