Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Mood and Theme

A few posts ago, I mentioned that I was keeping a boutique journal with ideas on how I want my boutique to look. I'll admit, it is tough - I love so many different types of things that finding my focus will be critical.

But I know that the key areas will be appealing to three senses - sight, sound, and smell. Sight is probably the first impression that anyone will have of the boutique - color scheme, decor, lighting. Then comes sound - what type of music will I have playing? The jazz that I love so much (but might not fit my clientele), indie music, classical? (Another problem with liking too many genres!) Finally, the smell - fresh flowers? A key "scent"? Hopefully not the smell of greasy pizza from a store next door! (a key to the location hunt!)

And then there is my list of "Bare Essentials" and "Lovable Extras". The Bare Essentials list covers the things that are "must haves" for the boutique - kind of like when you are buying a house and you know the two key things it has to have in order for you to love it (and this normally has to coordinate with what your spouse wants too!) And then the Lovable Extras - things I'd love to have but maybe not right away. Although it is difficult, it is important to put a stake in the ground in both areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment